Saturday, October 15, 2011

The Last of the Vendon

HS00

I bought these four pieces of Vendon by Holland and Sherry back in February and I am just now getting the last of them finished. It's a great cloth- a robust weave which is normally quite dry but this has a roundness to it and even a nice soft finish. If memory serves, there a few other colors; I may go and see if there are any left to pick from. At the same time I am going to have a browse through the Ariston bunches- a Neapolitan merchant who makes just the sort of horseblanket and FU checks that I love for sportsjackets (some of the louder cloths that Isaia and Oxxford use are from Ariston).

You'll notice that the shirt sleeves are far too long- the shirt is new and has only been washed once so I expect they will shrink some more. I had three of them made from a very opaque white cotton from Thomas Mason, I believe (I don't remember the name of it, but Joe from MyTailor tells me bought a whole lot of it) and I have actually had people stop me in the street to ask about my shirt so if you are in the market for white shirts and go see Mytailor, ask Joe about- he'll know what you're talking about.

vendon1

vendonback

In other news, I closed on the condo last week so I'll be moving again, hopefully for the last time in a long while!

StumbleUpon.com

11 comments:

Bubbygigi said...

The fit of your jacket is impeckable. I'm so impressed. Are the jacket sleeves the correct length or is the shirt sleeve length making the jacket sleeves look short? Good luck with your new home.
Gita

Nancy K said...

Impeccable. I love to see your work. It's inspiring. Good luck in your new home.

s. said...

that really does look like a wonderful shirt!

Anonymous said...

Funny, I was going to say "impeccable" as well, but two people beat me to it!! Beautiful work, thank you for sharing this. Have you tried New Fine Worsted from Dugdale Bros? It sounds like a similar cloth - plain weave, high twist, but still soft. Approx 10 oz I believe.

SG said...

Really nice a clean coat. Great to see something that actually fits.

Did you try the new drafting system you mentioned in an older post on this one?
It appears to be a tad tighter at the closing button than your other coats.

R. Jeffery Diduch said...

Thanks for all the compliments.

Anon- actually this is not a high-twist cloth, just a nicely finished plainweave. I haven't tried the New Fine Worsted.

SG- no this is not a new drafting system. The system I mentioned earlier turned out to be a dud. In any case, I have often repeated that the drafting system doesn't really matter (none of them are perfect) it's what you do during fittings and making up that matters.

J

Sewing Princess said...

beautiful fit and great fabric! Well done

Potter said...

What a beautiful coat - congratulations. And thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Wow coat sleeves wow wow wow x 10

shattuck

My One and Only said...

So beautiful!
I know it's all classic, but... why in the world do I think that the sleeves could be a bit longer?! (ritorical question)

midn said...

replica omega watches uk, combining elegant style and cutting-edge technology, a variety of styles of replica omega seamaster aqua terra watches, the pointer walks between your exclusive taste style.

Post a Comment